TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Registering your security info from the sign-in prompt
- Registering, Managing or Updating your security info
To help secure your account we need you to register some security information so that we can verify your identity. This is either by installing the Microsoft Authenticator App (preferred and most secure) on your phone or registering your mobile number. This will allow you to generate a unique temporary 6-digit code to verify your identity when resetting your password or accessing your account.
- Once you have set up the authenticator app you should not uninstall or delete the app as you need this to get into your account.
- If you have changed your number or are replacing your phone you should ensure that you register your new device before you removing the old device.
- If you lose or damage your device and can't get into your account please contact ITHelpline@southessex.ac.uk
Registering your security info from the sign-in prompt
You'll only see this prompt if you haven't set up the security info required. If you have previously set up your security info, but you want to make changes, you can follow the steps later in this guide titled “updating your security info”.
Sign into your college account
After you sign into your college account, you will see a prompt that asks you to provide more information before it lets you access your account.
Set up your security info by following the wizard
Follow these steps to set up your security info for your account from the prompt.
- After you select Next from the prompt, a Keep your account secure wizard appears, showing the option to set up the Microsoft Authenticator app.
Note: If you want to use an authenticator app other than the Microsoft Authenticator app such as Google Authenticator, select the I want to use a different authenticator app link.
Although we recommend using an authenticator app if you prefer to choose a different method besides the authenticator app, you can select the I want to set up a different method.
- Select Download now to download and install the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile device, and then select Next.
Install the latest version of the Microsoft Authenticator app, based on your operating system:
- Google Android. On your Android device, go to Google Play to download and install the Microsoft Authenticator app.
- Apple iOS. On your Apple iOS device, go to the App Store to download and install the Microsoft Authenticator app.
- Remain on the Set up your account page while you set up the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile device.
- Open the Microsoft Authenticator app, select to allow notifications (if prompted), select Add account from the Customize and control icon on the upper-right, and then select Work or school account.
Note: If this is the first time you're setting up the Microsoft Authenticator app, you might receive a prompt asking whether to allow the app to access your camera (iOS) or to allow the app to take pictures and record video (Android). You must select Allow so the authenticator app can access your camera to take a picture of the QR code in the next step.
- Return to the set up your account page on your computer, and then select Next.
The Scan the QR code page appears. Using the authenticator app scan the QR code, the authenticator app should successfully add your college account without requiring any additional information from you.
- Select Next on the scan the QR code page on your computer.
Enter the code in the authenticator app or approve the notification to verify and complete setup
Your security info is updated to use the Microsoft Authenticator app by default to verify your identity when using two-step verification or password reset.
Using a different method besides the authenticator app
If you choose the option, I want to set up a different method you will have the option to register your mobile number instead.
- Choose Phone and click Next.
- On the Phone set up page, choose whether you want to receive a text message or a phone call, and then select Next. For the purposes of this example, we're using text messages, so you must use a phone number for a device that can accept text messages.
A text message is sent to your phone number. If would prefer to get a phone call, the process is the same. However, you'll receive a phone call with instructions, instead of a text message.
- Enter the code provided by the text message sent to your mobile device, and then select Next.
- Review the success notification, and then select Done.
Registering, Managing or Updating your security info
You can manage your security info by visiting the Security info page to add, update, or delete your security information. From here you can also register your first time security information if you’ve skipped the prompt during sign in.
- Visit https://myworkaccount.microsoft.com and sign in with your college credentials.
- Select Security info from the left navigation pane or from the link in the Security info block, and then select Add method from the Security info page.
- On the Add a method page, select Authenticator app or Phone from the drop-down list, and then select Add. Please refer to earlier instructions on how to add the Authenticator app or Phone.
Delete your authenticator app from your security info
If you no longer want to use your authenticator app as a security info method, you can remove it from the Security info page. This works for all authenticator apps, not just the Microsoft Authenticator app. After you delete the app, you'll have to go into the authenticator app on your mobile device and delete the account.
Note: If you delete the authenticator app by mistake, there's no way to undo it. You will have to add the authenticator app again, following the steps in the Set up the authenticator app section.
- On the Security info page, select the Delete link next to the Authenticator app.
- Select Yes from the confirmation box to delete the authenticator app. After the authenticator app is deleted, it's removed from your security info and it disappears from the Security info page. If the authenticator app is your default method, the default will change to another available method.
- Open the authenticator app on your mobile device, select Edit accounts, and then delete your work or school account from the authenticator app.
Your account is completely removed from the authenticator app for two-factor verification and password reset requests.
Change your default security info method
If you want to change your preferred method when you sign into your college account or reset your password, you can set it from the Security info page.
- On the Security info page, select the Change link next to the Default sign-in method information.
- Choose your new preferred method from the drop-down list of available methods and select confirm.